Modernist villa

Georges Brera, Peter Böcklin & Bernard Morcellin architects
1976
Cologny (Switzerland)

Price upon request

290 m²
Land: 1 900 m²
5 bedrooms
Swimming pool

Description

A Brutalist villa on the shores of Lake Geneva

Designed by Swiss architect Georges Brera, this spectacular raw concrete villa with its avant-garde lines enjoys an enchanting setting in Cologny, in the canton of Geneva.

Set in almost 2 000 m² of south-facing landscaped grounds, this L-shaped property offers 290 m² of living space (390 m² of usable space) and benefits from a large swimming pool.

The house was designed in 1976 to accommodate two families. It is characterised by the fluidity of its circulation and offers great freedom of use and layout.

The first house includes a vast entrance hall with toilet and cloakroom, leading to a large living area with lounge and dining room separated by an elegant fireplace, overlooking the garden and swimming pool, as well as an adjoining kitchen.

The first floor features a staircase leading to a master suite with bedroom, dressing room and bathroom, opening onto a terrace. Another staircase leads, again on the first floor, to two bedrooms, each with its own balcony and bathroom.

The second flat, on the ground floor, comprises an entrance hall, a summer lounge with kitchen and two bedrooms with en suite bathrooms.

The basement is composed of a bright room, a bathroom, a laundry room, several cellars including a wine cellar, a workshop and technical rooms. The property also features a garage and parking spaces.

The villa enjoys a peaceful, green setting in a privileged residential area in Cologny, on the shores of Lake Geneva and close to the Cologny golf course. The centre of Geneva is just ten minutes away by car or public transport.

Generosity of space and brutalist poetry

This villa is a late work by Georges Brera, who designed it in collaboration with Peter Böcklin and Bernard Mocellin. In response to their clients’ desire for a villa composed of two flats, the architects opted for an L-shaped plan, with two wings framing a shared garden with a swimming pool.

The composition of the interior spaces demonstrates a subtle layout logic, based on the partial interweaving of the two flats, with no clear boundaries. This original approach enhances the experience of domestic life, ensuring that circulation flows smoothly while preserving the independence of each space, thanks to the work done on individual access.

The villa adopts a brutalist architectural language, focusing in particular on the contrasting effects of masses and empty spaces. The expressiveness of the wide concrete bands, left unfinished, is matched by the tranparency of the glazed surfaces. The aesthetic strength of the home also relies on the quality of the design and certain details, such as the slight overhang of the roofs (which protect the bay windows from the high sun) and the treatment of the balconies, which are fitted with privacy screens to protect the residents’ privacy.

Villa Maier, archive image, rights reserved

Carouge Towers, 1958-1969, archive image, rights reserved

Georges Brera

Georges Brera (1919-2000) was the author of a prolific body of architectural work. Over the course of his career, he worked on a wide range of projects, from the renovation of flats to urban planning, including the construction of factories and large-scale public facilities. The Swiss architect designed around forty villas, of which approximately half were built, most of them in the canton of Geneva. Throughout his career, single-family housing has been a laboratory for modernity, a field for technical and aesthetic experimentation.

After graduating as an architect and draughtsman from the Ecole des Arts et Métiers in Geneva in 1935 and 1940, he continued his architectural training at the Haute Ecole d’Architecture in Geneva, where he attended Eugène Beaudouin’s lectures between 1943 and 1946. He worked on the exhibition L’Amérique Bâtit, where he discovered the works of American masters Frank Lloyd Wright, Richard Neutra and Mies van der Rohe.

His career was punctuated by numerous collaborations. He teamed up with Jean-Maurice Bommer, with whom he worked for the city of Geneva’s urban planning department, collaborated with the architect and engineer Paul Waltenspühl, and with Marc-Joseph Saugey, a leading figure in post-war urban planning in Geneva.

In 1953, he took part in the 9th CIAM in Aix-en-Provence, as a delegate of the Geneva Group, where he met Le Corbusier during a visit to the Unité d’habitation in Marseille. In 1958, he designed the Villa Maier for the Austrian ambassador, which won him international recognition, as well as the Carouge Towers, which anchored his work in the Brutalist movement. From the 1970s onwards, he began to work on major public commissions, including the Geneva Exhibition Centre and the Geneva Stadium.

Infos techniques

Prix sur demande
Taxe Foncière : NC
Pleine propriété

A rénover.

DPE : NC

Additional information

Prix de vente

Price upon request

Architecte

Georges Brera

Géolocalisation

Near Genève

You may also like…