Skip to main content

“Maisons Rêvées” by Delphine Aboulker

By 28 September 2022April 19th, 2024No Comments

Editions Alternatives (Gallimard)

A panorama of architects’ homes in France: 2000-2020

The single-family home is the preferred habitat of the French: 80% aspire to live in a house. But how can we reconcile this ideal with the growing problems posed by urban sprawl and climate change?

Maisons Rêvées – the first book by Delphine Aboulker, co-founder of Architecture de Collection – presents some answers, in the form of 40 houses built in France by architects over the past 20 years. Classified by theme (ecological homes, town houses, the quest for aesthetics, reinventing tradition and industrial inspiration), they are representative of the solutions developed by this largely under-represented profession in the construction market. Today, less than 5% of single-family homes are built by architects. The remaining 95% are mass-produced by housing developers, who sell interchangeable buildings from catalogs, with designs that take no account of local issues or environmental impact.

The book details the major trends in contemporary home architecture, as well as the creativity of the French scene. At a time when the health situation highlights the importance of quality living space, Maisons Rêvées shows the ingenuity and ability of architects to innovate and adapt to the needs and means of their clients, deconstructing the ” myth ” of the extravagant, expensive architect-designed house that is inaccessible to the greatest number.

Richly illustrated, this book combines aesthetic appeal with historical and sociological precision, covering the history of the single-family home from Antiquity to the present day, including the great social transformations of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Editions Alternatives (Gallimard) – Collection Architecture
240 pages / Paperback with flaps / 22 x 24 cm
35 €

In bookshops October 6, 2022



Delphine Aboulker is an academic, architect and art historian, and co-founder of the Architecture de Collection agency. She is currently deputy director of the École de Chaillot.

A specialist in single-family homes, in 2011 she created the Prix Archinovo, the first architecture prize dedicated to single-family homes, a subject she has made her specialty and to which she dedicated her doctoral thesis.


OCTOBER 6, 2022

Publication of Maisons Rêvées by Editions Alternatives, Architecture Collection.


OCTOBER 19, 2022

Rencontre & signature – Librairie Volume – 47 Rue Notre Dame de Nazareth, 75003 Paris


NOVEMBER 9, 2022

Meet & greet at the Librairie du Centre Pompidou – 19 Rue Beaubourg, 75004 Paris


NOVEMBER 15, 2022

Archinovo Award Ceremony Lafayette Anticipations – Fondation d’entreprise Galeries Lafayette – 9 rue du Plâtre 75004 Paris


DECEMBER 6, 2022

Meeting at Bar à Bulles – Machine du Moulin Rouge – 4 Cité Véron, 75018 Paris