Atelier d’artiste

Michel Roux-Spitz architect
Paris (75)

97 sqm
2 bedrooms
1 bathroom, 1 shower room


A workshop opposite Parc Montsouris!

This former artist’s studio converted into a loft is housed in a superb Art Deco building designed in 1930 by architect Michel Roux-Spitz and listed as a Historic Monument.

Completely refurbished by an architect, this upstairs duplex apartment is located on the ground and ground floors. It spans 97 m² over two levels. The ground floor comprises a 30 m² living room, a fully equipped kitchen with quartz worktop and beautiful materials, and a shower room. Upstairs is a lovely mezzanine bedroom with views over the park, a large dressing room, a bathroom and a second bedroom. The flat has an exit onto the street on the ground floor, on the park side.

Located in the 14e arrondissement, on the edge of Parc Montsouris, the flat is in a quiet location with an exceptional view. It is close to schools, shops and transport links (RER Cité Universitaire, tramway, metro, bus).

Spacious, light-filled living spaces opening onto the parkland

The living space is flooded with natural light thanks to the vast square glass workshop facing west towards the park, and benefits from a sought-after location in the heart of the capital.

The building’s clean lines and sober details herald modernism. Its façade is punctuated by three-sided balconies and studio windows. The base of the building and the edges of the openings are decorated with black glass mosaics that discreetly emphasise the design of the façade.

Michel Roux-Spitz

The 14th arrondissement has often been a testing ground for the most innovative architects of the 20th century. Le Corbusier, the Perret brothers and Louis Süe built some of their finest artists’ studios here.

Michel Roux-Spitz was born in Lyon in 1888 and died in Dinard in 1957. He studied in Tony Garnier’s studio at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Lyon in 1908, then entered the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris in 1912, winning the Prix de Rome in 1920. Influenced by Auguste Perret, between 1925 and 1931 he built a series of buildings in Paris known as his “white series”. These reinforced concrete buildings were clad in white stone and embellished with bow windows.

He was editor-in-chief of the magazine L’Architecte between 1925 and 1932, was on the patronage committee of L’Architecture d’aujourd’hui in 1930, and again became editor-in-chief of L’Architecture française from 1943 to 1950. In these periodicals, he shows his opposition to Le Corbusier’s principles for a new architecture, but defends modern architecture.

He received a number of major public commissions, including the famous Greystones villa in Dinard (1938), numerous urban developments in Nantes and its hospital centre (1945-1964), and the town hall in Saint-Nazaire (1959).

Additional information


Michel Roux-Spitz


Paris 14ème