1950’s apartment

Jean Prouvé & Lionel Mirabaud architects
1954
Paris 16ème

€1,450,000

117.42 m² LC
3 bedrooms
Southern exposure
Lift

Description

A Fifties icon by Jean Prouvé and Lionel Mirabaud

The engineer Jean Prouvé, the architect Lionel Mirabaud and the artist Noël Emile Laurent sign a remarkable building in the history of prefabrication, which was widely published and studied on its reception in 1954.

With 117.42 m² of living space, this south-facing flat on the 3rd floor enjoys absolute peace and quiet.

Arranged in a row, it comprises an entrance hall which leads to a beautiful long living room, bathed in sunlight thanks to its large windows. It includes a lounge with fireplace, a dining area and a large fitted kitchen with access to a utility room and service entrance.

The sleeping area comprises a bedroom with en suite bathroom, two further bedrooms and a shower room.

The flat has plenty of storage space and can be converted into a larger living area with two bedrooms.

A cellar completes the property.

The building has a caretaker, lift and bike storage.

Parking available.

The residence enjoys a privileged, quiet location in the Porte de la Muette-Passy district, between two private cul-de-sacs halfway between Square Mozart and Avenue Vion-Whitcomb.

Close to the Jardin du Ranelagh and the Bois de Boulogne, it has numerous shops, restaurants and schools and is served by the La Muette and Ranelagh metro stations.

Reinventing the Parisian luxury apartment block

This remarkable building is a precious testament to post-war research into prefabrication, applied here to the luxury apartment block. It has a refined design, marked by the dynamic momentum of a partly hollowed-out triangular canopy which marks the entrance. Structural concrete is used alongside ashlar and the aluminium of the prefabricated façade panels, a principle that was still rarely used for luxury projects at the time.

For this project, the builder Jean Prouvé developed prefabricated aluminium panels for the three curtain-wall façades, using an innovative principle for the time: each panel incorporates ventilation and slides vertically in the façade thanks to counterweights, thus acting as a sunshade, shutter or balustrade, depending on its position – high, low or inclined.

Perfectly preserved, the dynamic, colourful decoration of the building’s communal areas and the landscaping of the gardens were designed by painter Noël Emile-Laurent, in a graphic style typical of the 1950s.

Lionel Mirabaud

The architect Lionel Mirabaud (1916-1995) studied under Emmanuel Pontremoli, André Leconte and Eugène Beaudouin at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris, and graduated in 1944. He went into partnership with Jean Chemineau and opened an architectural studio in Paris in 1949, before being commissioned to study prefabrication processes and the industrialisation of construction in England and the United States. He was a member of the editorial board of André Bloch’s magazine L’Architecture d’Aujourd’hui, and was part of the post-war movement for the synthesis of the arts.

He was responsible for numerous projects in France, Haiti and Morocco. In particular, he built the French Institute in Port au Prince, Haiti, the French Pavilion at the International Exhibition in Haiti in 1950, flat blocks in Paris and the Paris region, and detached houses. He was also a delegate to the UN and UNESCO from 1949 to 1952.

Lionel Mirabaud worked with architect Claude Parent in the 1960s, notably on the experimental Villes Cônes megastructure housing project.

Jean Prouvé, the builder

Part architect, part engineer and part designer, Jean Prouvé (1901-1984) left a unique mark on the history of architecture and construction.

An ironmonger in Nancy during his early years, Jean Prouvé became a “builder” in 1930, quickly moving away from decorative ironwork towards industrial furniture adapted to the technical advances of the 20th century. He used metal for the finishing work on projects in collaboration with the modern architects of his time: Eugène Beaudoin and Marcel Lods for La maison du peuple in Clichy-sur-Seine, and Pierre Jeanneret for a model of a detachable pavilion (8X8, 1941).

With standardised construction using prefabricated parts, Jean Prouvé reached the realm of domestic architecture. The devastation caused by the Second World War highlighted the need to rebuild housing on a large scale and at lower cost.

Technical info

Asking price: €1,450,000
Fees are included and payable by the vendor.

Property tax: €2,724
Property ownership. Number of lots : NC
Monthly share of running costs : NC
No proceedings in progress.

ENERGY CLASS: D / CLIMATE CLASS: D
Estimated average annual energy costs for standard use, based on 2021 energy prices: between €1,370 and €1,900.

Additional information

Prix de vente

1 450 000 €

Géolocalisation

Paris 16ème

Architecte

Jean Prouvé & Lionel Mirabaud

You may also like…